Monday, September 8, 2014

Interview with Joanna Wert, Homeschool Mother

When we decided to homeschool, we knew only one person already doing it, Joanna Wert. She welcomed me into the Snyder County Homeschoolers, encouraged me about our choice to homeschool, and shared many bits of practical advice about how to do it. I love this dear godly woman. She has been an inspiration, as well as a dear friend.  

How many years of experience do you have as a homeschool mother?

I am currently in my 27th year of homeschooling with just one year remaining after this one.

Why did you decide to homeschool?

I started homeschooling because God led me to do it.

What do you like about being a homeschool mother? Read More

My favorite part of being a homeschool mother is having so much time to get to know and interact with my kids.

Have you had any challenging situations in your role as educator?

There’ve been plenty of challenges, not the least of which was a learning disabled child.

Is there any curriculum you would recommend?

I’ve been eclectic in my approach to curriculum. What has worked for one, has not worked for another. In general, I prefer living books to textbooks, but two of my girls actually prefer textbooks.

I know, like all homeschool parents, you often get the big question, “What about socialization?" How do you answer it?

First, I say, "What you call socialization now, you will call peer pressure later." Secondly, I point out that school is the only scenario where you spend all of your time with your age group. Thirdly, I have a long list of activities and groups in which my kids have participated.

What advice do you have for others who homeschool?

There are no pat answers for success. Look to the Lord for everything. He who has called you is faithful.

Joanna Wert is the mother seven children ages 15-34 and the grandmother of five grandchildren ages four and under with two due in November. She is a member of New Buffalo Alliance Church and is in charge of both the AWANA store and Children's Church. Recently, she has begun working with She's Somebody's Daughter. Check out her inspirational blogs at  joanna-fiftysomething and writingintheraw







No comments:

Post a Comment